Theatre Outreach Internship with ARI and the Chiang Mai Drama Centre
Chiang Mai Drama Centre was founded and is run by British trained and qualified Drama teacher, Natalie Taylor. Natalie has over 10 years experience of teaching Drama and directing performances in schools in England and Thailand with young people of all backgrounds and ages.
“Drama is a fantastic tool as it can help people to understand themselves and the world they live in. Through storytelling and playing characters we get to see and imagine different places, people and situations. Drama allows you to play out endless scenarios and encourages you to join in and have a go, building confidence and creativity.
Chiang Mai Drama centre is for any young person who wants a bit of ‘play’ in their life; make friends, develop performance and theatre skills, grow in confidence, improve public speaking skills, get creative, feed their imaginations and have fun!”.
(Chiang Mai Drama Centre Artistic Director, Natalie Taylor)
Art Relief International, in partnership with the Chiang Mai Drama Centre, is looking for interns interested in deepening their understanding of international arts and theatre outreach and expanding their own skills in theatre and movement workshop facilitation.
Through this internship you will gain firsthand experience in international arts and theatre outreach and expand your own skills in workshop facilitation. Interns will gain professional experience while becoming immersed in the vibrant culture of Chiang Mai’s contemporary arts scene.
The intern’s time will be split between facilitating or assisting with workshops conducted by Art Relief International and the Chiang Mai Drama Centre. Weekend work will be required.
- Planning and facilitating theatre, movement or performance workshops including writing lesson plans and budgets, leading the workshops, conducting evaluations and writing blogs. Whilst supervision will be provided, interns will be expected to lead workshops independently.
- Ensuring all elements of the workshop are prepared and ‘ready to go’ including purchasing supplies and printing materials etc.
- Assist the directors of both Art Relief International and Chiang Mai Drama Centre in any ongoing theatre, movement or performance workshops.
- Assisting with the facilitation of visual art workshops.
- Assisting with ongoing and one-off promotional events and exhibitions.
- Assisting with the ongoing functioning and maintenance of the ARI program including occasional administrative and office related tasks.
Please make sure that you have read through the Art Relief International and Chiang Mai Drama Centre's websites to be sure this program is right for you. To read about past projects and past volunteer experiences with ARI, please read through the Art Relief Volunteer Blog.
Minimum Duration: 6 weeks - online application.